Saturday, July 21, 2007

Down in Folsom Prison

Well hello there! I guess I've let down all my readers with my lack of posting, but I was in the closest thing to confinement since my one mishap in Oneonta back in the day.

I've been staying at a place called King's Hospital in Palmerstown, which is about 20 minutes outside of Dublin proper. Not so bad, but it was rough. There was one bar within walking distance and a little mall, but not a thing else. Rough. I hardly left campus sometimes. And on top of that - may the Lord forgive them - hardly no internet access. They allowed staff members to go on from 4-6 PM and blocked access to everything fun: blogger, youtube, myspace, ya know...all the geeky stuff I stand behind.

So I was pretty much stuck there for the past week, but got into the city quite a bit. I found some Korean food that was pretty good on Parnell St. in Dublin. Our bus-driver Mick said that's where all the Polish and "nigs" live and that I should be careful. Mick's a weird bloke. Total alpha male and has the admiration of all my female co-workers. He splits his time between Ireland and Thailand. I'll let you decide your thoughts on Thailand, but it sounds a bit sketchy to ol' Kev.

I was pretty pumped to get out of King's Hospital. Dublin is a fair city, though. I DJ'd (I think I posted 4-5 times about it) at this art space called This is Not a Shop last Friday and then went to this place called Dice Bar. I hear it's owned by the guy from that band the Fun Loving Criminals:



Whoa. I met some good folks there - one lady who used to live in Downtown Brooklyn. She knew Moe's, a bar I like in Ft. Greene. I also got to visit the Sinn Fein office -- the political party that used to be associated with the IRA. It was kinda shabby and not what I expected, but I'm glad I got to see it. I got some Republican propaganda and what not. Very nice, thank you.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to getting back. Working/traveling is a weird mix. The one thing I like about traveling is not having a fixed schedule and being able to do whatever I want. Not this time, though. And I've been moving around with the same 74 students and the same 7 staff members. I kinda need a change. Only another week, I guess. I can't take this total immersion thing. I might go out alone tonight. I'm in Galway now and there's a little art festival going on. Pics still forthcoming! I gotta get the f outta here.

God bless. Thanks for readin still.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good reading the blog Kev. Have fun and keep on keepin' on.

Peace Irish!

Your Italian Comrade in the States,

Anthony