Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Flaunting It

I'm teaching three classes a day to three different groups: the Normans, the Celts and the Vikings. They're named after the early inhabitants of Ireland just around the time of the arrival of monotheism and shoes. They're a pretty good bunch of kids. One kid asked if I'd prefer teaching in the suburbs instead of Brooklyn. I laughed and said I liked teaching in the hood, but I kinda love getting relevant responses and answers with some insight. Is that where I gotta go to get this? Is that why so many NYC teachers flee to the burbs? Better pay and correct answers?

I led a discussion on the Ancient Order of Hibernians excluding the ILGO from marching in the St. Patrick's Day parade. The kids responded mostly that St. Patrick's is mostly a secular holiday nowadays and that they should therefore be allowed to march. One student said that they shouldn't be allowed to be in the parade because a banner would be "flaunting" their sexuality. The other kids countered that a banner with the word "gay" on it is no more flaunting it than one held by firefighters that read "Irish Batallion 4545" or whatever. Bright.

We discussed Irish-American identity and every class referred to St. Patrick's Day as "an excuse to drink green beer." And I'm like, "Are you kids reading my blog?!" Nah, they still don't know about it and I don't know if I'm going to tell them. Maybe afterwards, but not right now.

We then talked about how St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland, which is the metaphor for bringing the shoeless polytheists to Catholics. But he did something pretty interesting: he allowed them to keep some symbols of their ol' heathen ways. Note the Celtic Cross:



We agreed that it was tacky to get this as a tattoo, but thought it was cool that the circle in the middle represents the sun god.

The Irish still eat Weetabix for brekkers:



And they call breakfast "brekkers." The Irish is crazy!!! The diet is mainly carbohydrates for brekkers, more carbs and fatty meat for lunch, then a similar dinner. No corned beef and cabbage to be found anywhere. One of the students told me that that was the food provided on the emigrant "Coffin Ships." Thanks, student.

I also picked up one of these here rolling piano:



A mere 20 Euros (no Euro key here - just $$$). There's also a BBQ and DJ here tonight to celebrate the 4th of July. I've had R. Kelly's "I'm a Flirt" in my head all day, so hopefully the bloke spinning the records can help me out.

No comments: